Monday, November 2, 2009

A REALLY BAD IDEA

We all know what a good idea it is to mulch the garden, especially here in Queensland when we've had such a dry winter and now coming into a dry summer as well. So - my good idea has turned into a really bad idea because I used barley straw. I now have a barley crop over almost my entire garden. I wasn't too worried at first because barley is a winter crop and I thought surely it wouldn't come to anything so late in the season - but I'm seriously wrong. A lot of it is now in shotblade and if I don't get rid of it before it comes into head, I will have barley coming up for many years to come. I'm going to have to resort to Roundup for the bigger areas, but most of it is going to have to come out by hand. Where are those grandkids when you need them...................

2 comments:

  1. Oh yuck! I tried putting newprint over affected garden areas a time back and it worked quite well. It's like quack grass here in canada..knees and picking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't got any grand kids to lend you, but I'm more then happy sending you a 14y old girl nad 10y old boy! And you don't even have to send them back!!

    ReplyDelete