Tuesday, April 7, 2009

RAG RUGS


I've been crocheting rag rugs in the evenings while I'm waiting for the cooler weather to begin to hand quilt my "Dashing Through the Snowcones" quilt.  That quilt is going to be so cosy to quilt when we get some chilly evenings.  Can't wait!!

What I love about making my rag rugs is the surprise element.  The fabric always looks totally different after it's made up.  These 2 will come to Ipswich with me to the Handmade Expo in June if they don't sell before that. 

2 comments:

  1. Love your rugs Val. A great way to recycle some fabric. I've often thought about trying this old craft. Is the fabric cut on the bias?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen
    I think I googled every rag rug site there was to be found when I first tried and some said to cut the fabric on the bias. The first couple I did that, but now I don't. I rip the fabric into strips about 1 1/4" wide depending on how thick the fabric is. Give it a try - you'll soon get the hang of it. It takes a LOT of fabric - much more than I expected. I'm not very experienced at crocheting and I couldn't even tell you what stitch I use, but I do love them and certainly a great way to recycle fabric. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete