Monday, May 4, 2009

RHUBARB CAKE

I'm a really lazy cook and this rhubarb cake is probably just a little more effort than I would normally look for, but having said that, it is really easy and so well worth the effort.

Rhubarb Cake
(You can use frozen rhubarb, but I use fresh because it's so easy to grow and I have ready access to it)
60g Butter
1 1/2 cups  Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1 Teasp Vanilla Essence
1 Teasp grated lemon rind (I leave this out if I don't have any)
2 Eggs
1 Cup SR Flour
1 Cup Plain Flour
1 Teasp Cinnamon
1 Cup Sour Cream (I use a 300ml carton)
500g Fresh Rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths
Extra Brown Sugar and Cinnamon to sprinkle over top of cake

Lightly grease 23cm round tin and line with greaseproof paper.
Beat butter, sugar, essence and rind in bowl with electric beater.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Stir in sifted dry ingredients and cream in 2 batches; add rhubarb.  
Spread into pan, sprinkle with extra sugar and cinnamon.  
Bake in moderate oven 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.  
Stand 5 mins before turning onto wire rack.

I promise you that this cake will become one of your favourites - it's YUM

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I will try to find my cake recipe also and send it to you from Canada.
    We, in the colonies have rhubarb in abundance at this time of year.
    I love rhubarb and make strawberry rhubarb jam, pies and conserves of rhubarb, pineapple, apples and raisins , a bit or orange or lemon and it's great with pork or chicken and toast.
    I have a granddaughter who is alergice to her faborite fruit, strawberries and have had to try lots of rhubarb to different mixtures as she loves rhubarb too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nanci that would be great. I'll look forward to more rhubarb recipes.

    ReplyDelete